Student Volunteer Opportunities
College Student Volunteer Program
An increasing number of college students seeking degrees in health care professions are being asked to complete volunteer assignments in their field as a requirement for graduation or for admission to educational programs. At St. Mary’s, we are pleased to work with these students to the maximum extent possible. Orientation sessions are held at the beginning of Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. Please be aware that all student volunteers must have:
- Immunization records showing 2 MMRs
- A valid driver’s license
- Class schedule
- Current TB test (within last year)
- If you have tested positive, please bring results of your chest x-ray.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most volunteers serve a weekly three-hour shift; however, the time given varies among volunteers. We require a minimum of 30 hours per semester. The St. Mary’s Volunteer Office will work with you individually to develop a schedule that meets your needs and those of the department in which you are volunteering.
No, they are not. Volunteers are placed after a scheduled one-on-one interview during the interview/placement process (see below).
My class schedule has changed and I am no longer able to meet my commitments as a St. Mary’s Collegiate Volunteer. May I have a new volunteer time slot?
No. St. Mary’s Health Care is grateful for all our volunteers. However, because we coordinate such a large number of volunteers, we are unable to shift timeslots around as class schedules change. Thank you for understanding.
You can get your MMR vaccine records from:
- Your personal physician
- The University Health Center if you are a University of Georgia student
- Your local Health Department
How to Volunteer
St. Mary’s college volunteer application process takes place during our in-person interview sessions. Please note that there is no application, either written or online, that you need to fill out prior to our interview/placement session. Here are the details:
Spring Placement Interview Session
- Monday, January 13, 2020
- 2:00 – 4:00 PM
- St. Mary’s Hospital Assembly Rooms
This is a drop-in session. Business attire is required. No application filled out prior to the session.
Please make sure you bring with you your immunization records showing 2 MMR vaccinations, your drivers license, results of current TB test, and your class schedule.
During this session, we will review your records as well as interview you and plan your volunteer schedule. You must plan on volunteering 3-4 hours per shift, per week on a set schedule.
If you are awarded a volunteer spot, you will need to complete our Online Orientation Session.
Spring Orientation Session
Only students who attended the interview session on 01/13/20 and received verification of spring placement need to complete online orientation. You must complete both the interview session and the orientation session to start volunteering.
Spring volunteers will begin work the week of Monday, 1/20/20. You will need to be available to start your volunteer work at that time.
- Please plan on parking on the top level of St. Mary’s parking deck for your interview sessions. You will need to pay for parking. However, once you are a volunteer, parking will be free in designated areas.
- Due to the volume of students seeking volunteer positions, there are no make-up sessions and we cannot accommodate requests for individual interviews. If you miss any part of this interview/placement/orientation process, you will need to wait until next semester. Thank you for your understanding.
- Previous volunteers are considered “returning” only if there has not been a gap in service. All others must complete the interview/placement/orientation process.
- We request that you hold your questions until the initial placement interview session. If you absolutely must contact us prior to the session, please call Melissa McDaniel, Volunteer Services Coordinator at 706.389.3892.
Teen Summer Volunteer Program
Each year St. Mary’s Health Care accepts volunteers for its teen summer volunteer program. The teen volunteer program offers high school students a great opportunity to explore careers in health care. It also provides them the opportunity to learn the importance of giving back to their community. Teen volunteers assist with a variety of non-medical duties throughout the hospital.
Teens must be 16 years-old by March 1st or a Sophomore in high school to apply for the program. Interested teens should submit the online application AND complete the requirements below no later than March 15th of the year they wish to volunteer in. Due to the number of applications received all information must be submitted by that date. Applications are reviewed and interviews scheduled in late March with decisions being made by April 10th. While we would like to notify everyone personally, we receive so many applications that personal responses are possible only for applicants whose information is received on or before March 15.
Please note: Submitting your application on time and having an interview does not guarantee you a volunteer position. Spaces are limited.
Individuals who meet submission requirements will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator for an interview.
Applicants selected for a volunteer position will be notified shortly after April 10th.
How to Become a Volunteer
- Complete and submit the online application
- Submit two sealed recommendation letters that include statements regarding your academic achievements and cumulative GPA, to the address below
- —- 1 recommendation should be from a teacher indicating your academic achievements
- —- 1 recommendation should be from a guidance counselor indicating your cumulative GPA
- Submit Immunization Record (must have 2 MMRs) and current TB test (within last year) to the address below
- Interview with the St. Mary’s Volunteer Services Coordinator
REMEMBER, ALL materials must be received by our office no later than March 15th for the year you wish to serve as a volunteer.
For more detailed inquiries, you may contact
St. Mary’s Health Care System
Volunteer Services Coordinator/Admin Assistant Marketing
1230 Baxter Street
Athens, GA 30606-3791