Release of Information
As a patient, you are entitled to obtain copies of your medical records. Here are instructions and guidelines for submitting St. Mary’s authorization form for your paper records. If you would like to access your medical records online, AND already received login instructions in your email inbox, you may login to St. Mary’s MyHealth Patient Portal here. If you are not yet registered to access your records online, you must register IN PERSON at the release of information office in St. Mary’s Hospital (see hospital map below).
IF YOU FIND AN ERROR IN YOUR MEDICAL RECORD, you may contact Medical Records by calling, 706-389-3374. No need to set up an appointment, you can come by our office to begin this process. The map of our location is shown at the bottom of this page.
Please note we are able to release only those records that pertain to procedures or inpatient admissions at St. Mary’s Hospital or a St. Mary’s Health Care facility. We do not have records of visits to your physician or other healthcare providers.
To receive a hard copy of your medical records, please follow these steps:
- Please download and print the PDF release form
- You must print legibly so we can easily find your requested records
- All sections must be completed for us to provide your records
- To receive copies of actual films and/or billing information, check the appropriate boxes on the form, as this information is not routinely provided with copies of the medical record.
- For copies of your medical records, you may be assessed a fee based on the following fee schedule:
- Please mail or fax the completed form to:St. Mary’s Health Care System, Inc.
Health Information Management Department – MRO
1230 Baxter Street
Athens, GA 30606-3791
FAX – 706.389.3361
- Please allow us 5-7 working days after we receive your request to prepare the records. Even though Georgia law gives us 30 days, we will make every effort to honor your time frame. We will call you when the records are ready.
- Once your request is prepared, you may pick up your records in person or we will mail them to you, whichever option you selected on the form; fax service is available only if you want your records sent to another health care provider. Records may be mailed out of town.
- If picking up records in person, please be prepared to present your photo ID. We can only give copies to the person designated to receive the records in the authorization. The Release of Information Office is located on the 1st floor of the hospital (please see map below). Parking information can be found here.
- Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- If you are signing for another adult person, you will need to provide us with a copy of the patient’s Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care. In the State of Georgia, a general Power of Attorney does not cover release of medical records.
- If you are signing on behalf of the patient, you must identify your relationship to the patient at the bottom of the form and indicate your authority to sign. If there are any issues, our Release of Information office will give you a call. Parents may not request records for children age 18 or older without a valid Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.
If you have additional questions, please call us at 706.389.3374.